Music

Memories of Hiawatha in the Royal Albert Hall

Two of our readers have recently very generously sent us material relating to the Hiawatha performances at the Royal Albert Hall in years around the 1930s.  We are grateful to George Parnell for this Programme of Hiawatha performances, and to Wendy Breese for sending us her recollections of time in the Royal Choral Society.

It would be interesting to learn if anyone knows the year of the Programme we have; and also to learn whether anyone recalls the performers named on it.  (You will note that amongst them is Chief Os-Ke-Non-Ton.)

Sir Malcom Sergent of course features in both these items of memorabilia.

Wendy Breese recalls her time In the Royal Choral Society:
My mother and grandmother were members of the Royal Choral Society and took part in costumed performances of Hiawatha at The Royal Albert Hall.

They used to tell my sister and me how they had to picnic in Kensington Gardens opposite as the facilities in the hall could not cope with the large numbers of singers. The told us how they ran down the steps to the arena in their squaw costumes, which my sister and I subsequently had in our dressing-up box in the 1940’s. (Sadly I don’t know what happened to them.)

When we were old enough my sister and I also joined the Royal Choral Society, and sang alongside our mother in the altos. Our grandmother had retired from the choir by then so we were never all four together.

We also made a 12″ LP recording of Hiawatha at Maida Vale studios, conducted by Sir Malcolm Sargent.

About these ads

About Hilary Burrage

Hilary Burrage is a board director, consultant, writer, teacher and sociologist. She initially studied natural science and trained as a classical singer before finally turning to Sociology. Her subsequent major enduring professional interests as a practising social scientist have been in social policy, culture and the ecology of knowledge.

Discussion

11 thoughts on “Memories of Hiawatha in the Royal Albert Hall

1. I was most interested to see the programme of one of the presentations of the dramatised “Hiawatha” at the Royal Albert Hall and to read Wendy Breese’s comment. I have several programmes of “Hiawatha” in which my dear friend and singing teacher, Webster Booth appeared. His first appearance was in July 1937. I also have a photograph of Webster in full costume for his appearance in “Hiawatha”. I will scan the programmes and send them to you in a day or two.

Posted by jean2371 | May 26, 2012, 8:11 am
    • I’ve just come across this site. I wonder if you have a programme where my mother, Molly Elvar, who played Minnehaha is listed. Early 30s I suspect. I have a programme but without a cover from the Albert Hall with Sir Malcolm Sargent as musical director, dated 9-21 June but no year. No Webster Booth though, but she did, I think, sing with him. I have a nice pic of her in costume.

Posted by Enid Stephenson | January 16, 2013, 3:17 pm
      • I’m afraid I only have one prewar programme of Hiawatha (1937) and I could not find your mother’s name listed there, but I discovered that she sang in Powis Pinder’s Sunshine Concert Party at Shanklin in 1934 along with Webster Booth, his second wife, Paddy Prior, and Arthur Askey. I have a photo of the party on my website and I’d be most interested if your mother appears in this photo. There is also a photograph of Webster Booth in full costume for his appearance in Hiawatha at the same link. http://ziegler-booth.blogspot.com/2007/03/photograph-album-1.html

Posted by Jean Collen | February 1, 2013, 5:46 pm
      • My only prewar programme of Hiawatha (1937) does not list your mother, Molly Elvar, but I was interested to discover that she sang in the 1934 summer season of Powis Pinder’s Sunshine Concert Party in Shanklin with Webster Booth, his second wife, Paddy Prior, and Arthur Askey. I have a photograph of this party on my website and would be interested to know whether your mother is in it. The link to the photograph and the photograph of Webster Booth in full costume for his appearance in Hiawatha is: http://ziegler-booth.blogspot.com/2007/03/photograph-album-1.html

Posted by jean2371 | February 1, 2013, 5:53 pm
      • Alas no, not in that picture. She is in the attached pic between Arthur Askey and ANOther chap leaning on the piano. Also in the other attached photo walking with someone with the poster behind advertising the concert parties in 1936. best wishes enid stephenson

Posted by Enid Stephenson | February 1, 2013, 6:23 pm
      • In a pile of old music I have found a programme of Hiawatha, dated June 9th-21st 1930. Molly Elvar is listed as playing Spring on 12th, Minnehaha on 16th, Spring on 20th. Would you be interested in having it?

Posted by Mike Denmark | November 4, 2013, 7:50 pm
      • Your note about the programme has just popped up in my inbox though I see once I have gone into the site that it was sent some time ago. Do email me enid.stephenson@gmail.com

Posted by enid stephenson | August 21, 2014, 10:41 am
      • Hi Enid. I have just seen your comment from last January. I have just recently bought a double mounted display that dates to June 1930 which includes a fully signed programme from the performance of Hiawatha (including your mother) as well as some members of the 1930 touring Australian team (including the great Don Bradman). If you could let me have your email address I could email you some pictures. Kind Regards, Alex

Posted by Alex Picker | January 3, 2014, 3:50 pm
      • Goodness Alex that is very good of you to email and exciting to read on this wet and windy January day. How very kind of you to say you could send me some pics., love to see them. What a splendid sounding display – Hiawatha and Donald Bradman! You can reach me on enid.stephenson@gmail.com very best wishes for 2014 enid

Posted by enid stephenson | January 3, 2014, 4:24 pm
  2. In the 30s the Choral society solo circuit was something of a closed shop, with the same names cropping up again and again in the programmes of the time. Comparing the Hiawatha programme with VW’s line up for Serenade to Music in the famous 1938 recording under Henry Wood, we see that four of the names coincide: Sopranos Lilian Stiles-Allen [how cross she must have been to have her first name left out of the Hiawatha programme!] and Elsie Suddaby, Tenor Frank Titterton and Baritone Harold Williams. These artists were chosen by VW to appear alongside such stars as Isobel Baillie, Eva Turner [later Dame Eva] and Heddle Nash, so they were clearly at the top of their game!
    Richard Gordon-Smith

Posted by richard6composer | May 28, 2012, 12:55 am
  3. I was interested to read more comments on this thread and to see that several items were found by readers which featured Enid’s mother, Molly Elvar in performances of “Hiawatha”. I remember that I sent scans of a programme from 1937 and a photograph of Webster Booth in the production, but, so far, these have not appeared here.

Posted by jean2371 | August 21, 2014, 10:44 am